Friday 6 July 2007

Back to socks

It's ages since I last knitted a pair of socks and, as I've acquired a few new sock yarns lately, the time seemed right to cast on another pair.

These are for the resident radiologist. The yarn is Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch. It's the first time I've used this yarn and I really like it. It's slightly hairy, but not in an itchy way, rather a will-wear-well kind of way. I'm knitting it on 2.5mm needles, with the heels and toes done on 2mm needles to toughen them up a bit (the RR can be a bit of a sock monster). The pattern is a basic sock pattern with 68 stitches that I've adapted to have an afterthought heel (hence the yellow stripe of waste yarn).

I feel that there may be more socks in my near future as I'm remembering how satisfying, non-attention-requiring and portable they are to knit. The pair of this sock will be accompanying my on my travels to Italy for a conference next week.

And for anyone who's noticed that Betty has slipped below the radar recently, I've developed a new Betty-finishing strategy... before I pick up any of my more appealing projects of an evening, I knit an hour of Betty first. In this way I can add just under two inches of sleeve per session and should make steady progress.

No comments: