Monday 23 April 2007

The difference half a millimetre makes!

I've been spending a fair bit of my weekend doing this.....










That's right, frogging and re-knitting, all for the sake of a half-millimetre difference in needles. I originally knitted these socks in January on 2.75mm DPNs with 64 stitches as usual. They were far too big - really baggy round my feet. I normally use 2.25mm DPNs, so ripped back to the ankle and used the smaller needles from there.

You can see the difference this needle change makes in this photo taken after the first sock had been re-knitted.










I also decided to put afterthought heels in this time, instead of heel-flaps. This also tends to give me a better fit. I knit a piece of scrap yarn where I want the heels, then continue with the foot and toe. I then pick up the stitches either side of the scrap yarn, remove the scrap and knit the heel.











And the final outcome - socks that fit properly!

No comments: